11/23/2015

Unstoppable Golovkin wants all middleweight belts

Photo courtesy of vk.com/ggolovkin

Gennady Golovkin, the WBA Super, IBO and WBC Interim titleholder from Kazakhstan has once again proved his undefeated status at the biggest boxing arena Madison Square Garden. On October 17th Golovkin TKOed the Canadian IBF middleweight champion David Lemieux in the 8th round of the title unification fight.

As a result, Golovkin obtained his fourth middleweight title and scored the 34th victory along with the 31st KO. Ruthless Golovkin showered Lemiuex with heavy head and body shots. The Canadian was able to land more punches in the third round and showed his best in the fifth round. But later, Golovkin landed a merciless liver shot sending Lemieux to the canvas. Although Lemieux was able to resume the fight, Steve Willis, the referee stopped the fight in the 8th round.

The Canadian disagreed with the stoppage. "I’m very disappointed the referee stopped it. I could've continued," Lemieux said.

But Willis said that he held the fighter's health as a priority. "David is very competitive fighter and as long as he was able to throw punches he was going to keep on trying but his chances of winning were decreasing as the fight went on. Against a guy like (Golovkin) he was going to get really hurt and I’m here to protect the fighter’s health and that’s my top priority," Willis said.
In support of the referee's decision, Golovkin landed 280 of 549 punches in comparison to 89 of 335 punches from Lemieux. This makes 51% of punches for Golovkin and only 27% for Lemieux.
"I am very happy. I gave my friends a big show. I am grateful to my people. I respect Lemieux, he is a good boxer. I want all the titles in the middleweight and to write a new page in the history of boxing. I want to add that I am a boxer, not a businessman. I have four titles, I hope to have more. What is next? I want to fight the winner of the Miguel Cotto-Saul Alvarez fight," Golovkin said after the fight.

Golovkin also tweeted his thanks to his fans, Kazakhstanis, team and the country.


No comments:

Post a Comment